Monday 14 November 2016

The Rotten Tooth Analogy

Today I want to tell you a story. A story about my tooth. The Rotten Tooth. Ever since I was a little kid, I was never fond about dentist. I don't know why but they have always scare me ever since I was a little child. That's why the only dental check up I ever went was the mandatory dental check up in school and trust me I felt like it was hell every time the dentist came to school



Back in 2012, I can't remember for what reasons, I actually went to the dentist. The dentist did scaling for me and I never liked it in fact I remember it did hurt as well. I remember very well how terrified I was to see the dentist inserting stuffs into my mouth, making me open and all. It was scary.

At the end, the dentist told me "Sukesh, come back in a month time, one of your teeth has some problem. Come back in a month time and lets get that fix.". Guess what I never went there back again.. Well at least for the next four years until last week.

During that four years, the condition of the tooth slowly started to get worse. I started to suffer from sudden striking pain, gums swelling and part of the tooth started to slowly decay and chip off. It was becoming brittle and after four years there wasn't much of the tooth left. As a result of that, two weeks ago I could hardly eat or even chew. Every time something touches the tooth with a bit of pressure, I would get striking pain.

Finally I told myself, I have had enough of this. 4 years is a long time and screw it I am going to go to the dentist and just get the tooth pulled out and get over with it. I can't afford to live everyday with this striking pain in my mouth.

I went to the dentist and the dentist told that my tooth has decayed so bad there was nothing left to save and the only option was to pull it out. But since it has decayed so bad, there isn't much for the dentist to hold and pull while fearing that little bit which is left would break too and that would make things worse.

And there you go I spent the next one hour having my eyes shut and just trying to be brave as the dentist attempted to pull my tooth out. It wasn't an easy ride and despite being injected to feel numb and no pain, I was still feeling the pain as the dentist try to pull it out as it wasn't coming. At one point I just felt like leaving the place if the tooth wasn't coming out. But something in my mind told me to push my self true and get over with it.

Finally it come out and boy what a relief it was. The rotten tooth was over and out. I was bleeding but it feel so light now in my mouth. I felt a sense of success by doing so. Now a week later the gums has almost healed and I don't feel any discomfort or pain. It feels so good and I am glad I took the leap to pull of the tooth out.


Now you might be wondering why am I blabbering to you about my rotten tooth. Well don't think my rotten tooth as just a rotten tooth but think of it as the problems we have in life or the things we are most afraid to do because we have been to comfortable in our comfort zone whereby we don't want to come out of it although the comfort zone is damaging us.

We all face problems in our lives but not all of us are brave enough to deal with our problems. We want to do something with our lives but we never felt brave enough to do. At the end of the day we settle down with what we have rather than what we want.

If you don't love your current job and you are passionate about something else, quit it and follow your heart. It will be scary, it will be difficult but when you finally do it you will be forever thankful for what you did. Take the rotten tooth out, leave what is damaging you and pursue what the heart wants my friend.

Every successful path often starts rough and difficult, be brave my friends and pursue your passion and you will see your life changing.

I am glad I got my rotten tooth out and now it is time I do the same thing with career. It will be tough and scary for me to do but ten years down the road I don't want to be stuck with "the pain of my rotten tooth" in my career. I rather pull it out now and pursue my passion

1 comment:

  1. Rotten teeth are a nightmare but this guide helped me to find the issues with my teeth. Rotten teeth. Actually my teeth were not rotten they were just stained and I misunderstood it with rotten tooth.

    ReplyDelete